The sommelier's word: read a label
The 03/03/2011 at 18:38
Meanings of one of the principal use on the labels of Champagne, written by two initials
- Trader-handle, champagne house licensed to buy grapes.
- Reaping-handle, and sparkling winemaker who does not market its own grapes.
- Cooperative, a group of harvesters.
- Grower-Cooperator winemaker who puts his own label on a wine produced by a cooperative.
- Champagne grapes from a grower and sold under its own label, but wine is made by a firm that distributes.
- Mark of buyers, a large buyer. For example, a chain or group whose name appears on the label that the wine comes from a cooperative or a champagne house.